+ Villa O´Higgins

Villa O’Higgins

THE ENTRY ROUTE TO THE SOUTHERN PATAGONIAN ICE FIELD

 

It marks the end of the Chilean Carretera Austral, a distance of 2,034 km from Santiago de Chile, 575 km 220 km of Coyhaique and Cochrane, still heading south.
Villa O’Higgins  is a small village of 500 inhabitants, located at the mouth of the river Mayer O’Higgins Lake, near the border with Argentina, in Region XI (Aysen) Chile.It marks the end of the Chilean Carretera Austral, a distance of 2,034 km from Santiago de Chile, 575 km 220 km of Coyhaique and Cochrane, still heading south.

Its coordinates are 48 ° 30 ‘South and 56 º 30′ West. It has an airport with a paved runway 1,300 meters long, although without a control tower, a role assumed by Coyhaique aerodromes or Cochrane.
The first settlements in the area date from 1914 when the first a1918 English settlers. In 1920 the Chilean colonists settled. The descendants of the latter are those who inhabit the shores of Lago O’Higgins. .

Officially founded in 1966 by President Eduardo Frei. Until November 1999, with the completion of the Southern Carretra, the Villa was cut off by land from the rest of Chile. Could only be accessed by air or lakeside from Argentina. Its location is the path of entry to the Southern Patagonian Ice Field..

Its economy is based on livestock, forestry and recently, tourism.

Robinson Crusoe